Monday, June 25, 2012

Best Part About the Calgary Stampede? The Food!

 Bacon Sundae Funnel Cake

Those of you who know me know that I like to enjoy a tasty treat now and then (or all the time!). So before heading to the Stampede last year, I did some thorough research on what I could expect to get my greasy little fingers on. What I found made me uber excited to step foot onto the Stampede grounds! Mac & Cheese Pizza, Pizza on a Stick, and the ORIGINAL Doughnut Burger made with a Maple doughnut bun instead of two slimy Krispy Kremes (the Ex version was pretty sub-par) were some of the delicious foods I tried.

This year, there are some new foods for me to fatten myself up with! (Sorry boyfriend, I may gain 10 pounds this week. But at least I won't be eating deep fried butter again). 

Here are some of the highlights:

Beef Bacon Sandwich
I'm on the fence about this one, only because it's supposed to be leaner and healthier. Doesn't that go against the whole idea of BACON?! Also, I've had turkey bacon before and it was pretty damn gross.


Cotton Candy Cupcake
This appeals to the 5 year old girl in me, because my Asian parents never bought me cotton candy. 'Too much sugar!" Good thing I had my grandma to buy me those things ;)


Jack Daniels Fudge
 I'm not so much a fan of whiskey, but I do know some people (including my friend Emily who I will be visiting at Stampede) who enjoy shot of JD or two...


Red Velvet Funnel Cake
Red Velvet is all the rage these days, and I'm pretty excited to try it in funnel cake-form. It better have cream cheese icing though, or I'll be very disappointed!


Deep Fried Wagon Wheel
Apparently Wagon Wheels are a classic (amongst white people). Being Asian, I didn't have one until I was about 23. I do love anything deep fried so I will definitely be getting one of these.

Also on my must-eat list: Taco Pizza, Naaco Bits (butter chicken sausage that is battered and deep fried), Pulled Pork Parfait, Deep Fried Pop Tart, and Turkeytini (I have no idea what this actually is but I do enjoy anything that ends in -tini...)

Oh yeah, there's also things made with veggies, and healthy/gluten-free options, but I'm not even going to mention those because healthy food is so blah. Just eat a funnel cake.

Check me out on Twitter @SpottedBySerena during the week of Stampede (July 6-15) for more pics of delicious food!

- S

1 comment:

  1. Nice article, but the picture of the Cotton Candy Cupcakes that Calgary is advertising is stolen and is not their own work. I know because it is my picture! I am uneasy with the amount of publicity that are receiving behind my work! If they are going to advertise other peoples work, they could at least give credit where credit is due!

    ReplyDelete